Within Edit Curve command, you have the ability to:
- Change the type of segments.
- Modify the location of control points.
- Add or delete control points.
- Add or insert new segments.
- Delete segments.
- Edit segment type-specific options.
Tip: Deleting a control point from a segment using the Edit Curve command is a quick way to "straighten" the curve in that
region. If you simply wish to change the shape of the segment, then editing and moving the control point should be used to modify the shape.
Select Edit, Curve. Decide which of the above modifications you need to apply to the selected curve. Use the commands found within the Edit
Curve panel to perform your curve modification.
The Edit Curve panel provides a multitude of tools by which additions or modifications can be made to a curve.
The Entity Type frame provides feedback about what type of entity is currently selected for modification. It uses
a Connector, Database, or Source icon to indicate what the current curve type is. Only the selected entity segment or a newly added
segment of the same entity type may be edited.
The Type frame indicates the current segment type selected as well as other segment types into which the current curve can be converted (if
possible). More detail on the segment types can be found in the Draw Curves section.
The Point Placement, Points frame in the Edit Curve panel contains three unique commands related to control point location and removal:
- Restore: Sets a selected modified control point back to it original location when it was last selected.
- Delete: Removes the last added or selected control points from the current segment. See the Deleting
Control Points section for more details.
- Delete All Interior: Automatically removes all interior control points.
All other Point Placement commands are already described in detail in the Point Placement
The command in the Segments frame are used to specifically add, insert, or delete segments for the selected curve.
- Add: Provides a control for adding a new segment to the beginning or ending of the selected segment. The default location for adding a
segment is the beginning of the selected segment, which is denoted in yellow by a square control point enclosed in a circle. To add a new segment to the end
of the selected segment, simply move the cursor past the end of the segment. An arrow, highlighted in pink, should appear at the end of the segment to show
the direction and vector of the current cursor position.
- Insert: Provides a control for inserting a new segment at the beginning of the currently selected segment. This command is most useful for
cases in which a different segment type needs to be inserted within a curve.
- Delete: provides a control for deleting any or all of the segments in the curve being edited. Once Delete is clicked, the currently
selected segment will be deleted from memory and the next segment in the curve will be highlighted.
- Current Segment: Uses left and right arrow buttons as controls for cycling through the segments in the curve being edited. Once a segment
is highlighted, any of the commands in the Edit Curve panel can be used to modify or delete the segment.