When defining a vector within Pointwise, there are several options available for setting the beginning and ending points of the vector.
The begin point of a transformation vector can be specified by one of the following methods:
- In the Point Placement frame, enter the XYZ values of the begin point in the XYZ text field.
- In the Display window, pick the point that will correspond to the begin point of the transformation vector.
Note that it is not necessary for the begin point to lie on the selected entity or entities. Additionally, if no begin point is specified, it will default to
the origin coordinates of 0,0,0. Once the begin point has been set, a small yellow square will appear at that coordinate location within the Display
The end point of a transformation vector can be specified via a few more options. This provides greater flexibility for situations in which the ending
coordinates of the transformation vector may not be known. Methods by which the end point can be specified are:
- In the Point Placement frame, enter the XYZ values of the end point in the XYZ text field.
- Pick the point that will correspond to the end point of the transformation vector in the Display window.
- Enter the XYZ Offset in the Point Placement frame’s Advanced subframe. The Offset Vector text field (Translate
panel only) can be used to accomplish the same effect.
- Enter the Scale Factors corresponding to the change in scale desired (Scale panel only). The end point will be determined by Pointwise
based on these factors.
Tip: In any of the transformations, try holding the 3D cursor over the transformation vector begin or end point, then left-click the
point while holding the Ctrl key. By keeping the left mouse button depressed, the transformation vector can be edited in the Display
window by dragging that point.